In commemoration of 100 years since the beginning of Armistice Day and the end of World War I November 11, 1918, the Poplar Bluff Municipal Library with community partners plans a series of programs celebrating our veterans for their service to our country.
Organizations participating in some or all of these events include:
- Poplar Bluff Municipal Library
- Poplar Bluff Chapter of the National Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution
- Poplar Bluff History Museum
- Veteran’s organizations
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Vietnam Veterans
- American Legion
- John J Pershing Veterans Administration Hospital
One of these events includes a photographic display of World War I veterans serving from the counties to which Poplar Bluff Municipal Library provides free library cards. These counties are Butler, Carter, Dunklin, Ripley, Stoddard, and Wayne.
The library is asking for submissions of photos for public display in the library October 1 through November 30, 2018.
Approximately 30-50 photos of these photographs will be placed on a standing display in the library on a first come first served basis. Photos received after meeting the maximum allowable space on the display unit will be placed in a notebook with photos in plastic sleeves and arranged alphabetically. This notebook will be placed in close proximity to the standing display for browsing and viewing.
With the name of the veteran, the library will attempt to find pertinent service related information for each veteran including service and draft records if available. Additionally, names of veterans and photos will be submitted to the website missourioverthere.org for searching and public viewing and as a resource for genealogy research.
The Library will accept all photos meeting the criteria described below.
Criteria for Submission:
- Submission form and photo must be received no later than August 31, 2018.
Mail to or bring by the library:
Sue Crites Szostak OR Shon Griffin
Poplar Bluff Municipal Library
318 North Main Street
Poplar Bluff, Missouri 63901
- All photos must be a 5x7 copy of the original photo on photo quality paper.
- No photocopies will be accepted
- No originals. These photos become the property of Poplar Bluff Municipal Library and will become a part of the library’s photo archives.
- The veteran must be from Butler, Carter, Dunklin, Ripley, Stoddard, or Wayne County, the counties Poplar Bluff Municipal Library serves with free library cards.
- The owner consents that the veteran’s information be submitted to the Missourioverthere.org website.
- All photos submitted must include the name of the veteran, the name of the submitter and address and good telephone number written legibly but lightly in pencil on the back of the photo.
- The submitter understands there may not be enough room to include all photos on the standing display. However, all photos will be available in the library either on the display stand or in the notebook(s). Photos are accepted on a first come/first served basis for the purposes of display. All overflow photos will be put into a notebook alphabetically by last name and placed near the standing display.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com